Wednesday, April 13, 2005

And the Emmy goes to ...

A few years back, while I was living in Florida, I came up to NYC for a visit, and ended up seeing my ex, Tom for the first time in years. It just so happened that it was at a Daytime Emmy after party, which was hosted by Procter and Gamble, who owned As The World Turns, where Tom worked as a writer.

As it happened they had won the Emmy that year. I don't care how good you look, or how prepared you think you are. When you see someone who you used to be intimate with, it doesn't matter how fabulous you are. If they're holding an Emmy, they've got you beat.

Well for the first time in years, I saw Tom last night and this time there was no Emmy. The meeting took place in front of a pizza place on the corner of Christopher and Bleecker, after a few semi-drunk (both of us) phone calls, debating whether or not it was too late to hang out.

I'd actually given up when we first talked, and headed to Pieces for karaoke and a drink. It was while I was there that he called. He'd had a rough night and wanted to get out of his house.

Of course I dragged him to a nearby piano bar, where we put a few cocktails in our already tipsy selves. It wasn't weird or awkward like I'd feared (thank you alcohol!) and we mixed discussion about the past, in with discussion about the present. I came to a lot of realizations about the time we'd spent together, and it felt good to share those with him and get his take on things too.

He walked me back to my place... and I asked if he wanted to come up. I explained that it wasn't for any romantic or sexual motivations... I just hadn't seen him in a long time and I didn't quite want to say goodnight yet.

So we didn't.

We said goodnight this afternoon when I put him on the subway home.

It was wonderful to spend time with him, and I think that a friendship might actually be in the cards this time around. We both noted how we were so intense with each other, but had bypassed all the real getting to know you stuff. Partly cause we had a lot in common, and partially because of sharing the same birthday (he's a year older) we felt we already knew so much about the other.

It'd be interesting to finally get to know Tom. I'll call him ... in a few days... and see what I can do about getting that to happen.

In other news, before that part of my evening I had a wonderful dinner with Brian at the Times Square Brewery, and sounded off to him about my depressing day. He's a good listener.... things will definitely move slowly there, if they continue to even go in that direction. But maybe it's time for me to give slow a shot. Lord knows I've never really been successful at it before. Who knows, right?

I filled out so many applications today my hands are bleeding, and now I'm off to go spend a little quality time with my friend Skylar who I haven't seen in years. One of my favorite hags in the city for sure...

Tommorrow it's back to Maine for the weekend... BLEH! What a party pooper, huh? :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home