Friday, April 22, 2005

The "J" Train To Nowhere...

The other night, while on my way back to my ghetto hotel, from my friend Skylar's house I encountered a rather unusual adventure on my way home.

First of all, one of the subway stops that I use quite frequently now is VERY difficult to find your way around. It's like a maze and all of the corridors look exactly the same. Well I was wandering around, innocently trying to find my "J" train but having no luck when this adorable chick came up and asked me if *I* knew where it was. I told her I didn't, but we decided to search together.

We ended up running into this spanish man, who she stopped and asked for help. She spoke to him in perfect spanish, and before I knew it another man had overheard and come to offer his input. By the end of this fiasco I was watching this girl and 4 other men all discussing the subway in Spanish.

UGH! I was confused.

The girl just decided to give up and take a cab home but I was determined. It turned out that because of track work, they were running really weird routes you had to take to get you to the train that goes to Brooklyn, which was my end destination.

Once on the train, I was greeted by one of the fabulous diva's who works for the MTA here in New York City. She came out of her cage in the subway car to give me exact directions to where I was going and to tell me the train would be sitting in this station for the next 10 minutes, before it was scheduled to leave. (Almost unheard of in the NYC subway) I saw her grab her pack of cigarettes and was going to follow her outside.

"Oh no baby," she said as she saw me headed for the exit. "Nobody's here... we'll just smoke here."

So we sat and had a cigarette, and she proceeded to tell me about her life and her job. Turned out the poor woman was working on her day off. She'd gotten home that morning at 8am, gone out to buy her lottery tickets, get her some food ...and then the phone calls started. She went on to tell me that they have a very long memory and if she had said no, the next time she needed a favor she'd be "S.O.L." (Her words)

I about fell off my chair when she said "It's a good thing they didn't call me before I got my drink on."

Yes, definitely a good thing.

Yesterday I did some more job hunting ... and it's just been absolutely fruitless so far. I didn't realize it would be this difficult to get a fucking waitering job. I ended up going over to Skylars so she could get me cuted up to go out.

I ended up getting high with her, fuckin with my hair and then leaving to go out around midnight. I got down to the village and walked around ... there was a group of hot boys standing outside the club I was going to go to, but it hit me then that I really don't like going out alone. It's no fun. So instead, I crossed the street and had a slice of pizza from what I think is one of the best pizza places in the city. Then I got on the subway back to Brooklyn, took some sleeping pills, read a little bit more of my book and fell asleep.

Not very exciting ... but hey ... I can't always have drama going on, now can I? :)

It's funny, cause I've noticed that I'm so much less boy crazy since I've been back. For the first time in a really long time I don't feel any overwhelming need to be in a relationship. I mean that's not to say I wouldn't be open to one ... but I don't feel like it's my main focus, like it so often becomes with me. I'm doing a lot for ME right now ... to get where I want to be ... become who I want to be... It's time I was my number one priority.

My friend Ari turns 30 this weekend... I plan on celebrating it with him ... and I know it will be a huge reminder for me that I'll be reaching the big 3-0 myself soon ... I feel a midlife crisis coming on. But, more on that when it happens.

It's Friday night and I have no idea what I'm going to do with it. My friend April is coming in from Maine tommorrow, so I may hae a quiet night tonight, then go out with her tommorrow.

I had to bite the bullet and ask the rents for a little more money to help me out ... which I so hate doing. I'm just so determined that this move is going to be successful, and whatever I have to do to insure that, I will.

Now, if my cooky best friend Jamie could just hurry up and get his ass up here, I'd have a playmate again. HEY JAMIE ... TICK TOCK TICK TOCK! Time's a wastin'!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home