Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Going To Pieces

Tuesday nights at "Pieces" is bar none the best gay karaoke night in New York City. The song selection is amazing, the boys are cuties, the drinks are reasonable and the stage is welcoming. It's also where I met "B" last week.

He'd been talking to Jackie, and I'd glanced at him a few times, but he was wrapped up in conversation. As my last drink started to hit me I mustered the courage to chat him up as Jackie went to "powder her nose." We were only talking for about 2 minutes when he told me "You are so cute."

I looked behind me to see who he could have possibly been talkng to.

"Me?" I asked coyly.

"Oh don't tell me you're one of those guys with low self esteem are you?" He asked, sounding genuinely dissapointed.

"Uh ... me? Low self esteem!? Pissshaw!"

Whew! Good save Kevin!

"B" and I chatted for the rest of the night, and he cheered me on when I got up to sing a song. Our first kiss was on the pooltable by the stage ... we both noted the fine kissing skills of the other, and then decided to continue the activity for a few more minutes.

Afterwards he came with Jackie, Jamie and I to go get some pizza at my favorite pizza place in all of New York City, which just happened to be right around the corner.

We chatted some more over a slice, and then I walked him to the subway, where we made out some more before he got on the train and headed uptown.

We hung out the next night at the Duplex, my favorite piano bar. Afterwards we grabbed a bite at a diner and then made out in front of the subway again. It was becoming a habit.

He had plans the next few days, and wasn't great about returning calls ... I found myself for the first time since I'd gotten back to New York actually waiting for a boy to call. And to make matters worse, he wasn't actually calling.

Friday we talked online... I told him I was looking forward to seeing him again. It made me smile. That night at work, as I'm standing at the bar waiting for a drink, I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn around and it's him.

"I can't stay, I just wanted to stop in and say hi real fast. Call me when you get out of work."

He smiled at me, turned and left.

I smiled for the rest of the night and called him when I was getting ready to leave.

No answer.

He called that night around 3 inthe morning to tell me he was out, and he didn't hear his phone ring. (Mine has a vibrate feature, but who knows...maybe his doesn't!) <--- Sarcasm alert!

We chatted for a few minutes and he got on the subway. Saturday night I text messaged him to ask if he'd finally got caught up on his sleep. He responded that he had. I then text messaged him asking what his plans were for gay pride, and if he wanted to hang with Jackie and Jamie and I at some point. No response.

The next time I heard anything from "B" was last night as I was getting dressed to go to Pieces. I'd been thinking that since he's a regular I'd run into him there, but when I saw him sign online at 11, as I was preparing to walk out the door, that seemed less likely.

He IM'd me and said "Hi!"

My responses were short. I said I had to go but maybe we could hang out sometime. He said "I'd rather that be sooner then later."

I wanted to say "Well then maybe you should reply to messages." I wanted to. But I didn't.

He said he wasn't going out, so I decided to just be honest. I told him I'd felt slighted and I knew it was silly, so I just wanted to be honest about it, but that if he wanted to call me I'd definitely be down for hanging out again.

No response for 2 minutes. Then he signed off.

Have I mentioned lately that boys SUCK!?!?

Jamie and I forged ahead to Pieces anyway ... It was a night of blasts from the past. Nic, an aquaintance from my Florida days, who now lives in New York City was there and sang MY karaoke song... but it was good to see him again. Then a really cute boy came up to me and asked me if I was Kevin. (This is becoming a regular event since my return.)

"Yeah, I'm Kevin..." I replied, trying not to look as clueless as I was.

"I'm Todd. We knew each other years ago."

It took a minute, but then he said his screen name and it flooded back. (Natch!) We were friends for quite a few years, and I'd always had a small crush on him. In those days, I wasn't at my cutest. Last night I was wearing a hottie outfit, had good hair, and was looking fierce. I enjoyed running into people from my past, looking much better in the present.

Todd stuck with Jamie and I for the night... and I secretly harbored some hope that "B" would decide to pop in and surprise me ... to make me smile. He didn't.

Afterwards it was back to my favorite pizza place for pizza with Jamie and Todd. This time I splurged and had TWO slices. (I hadn't eaten all day, in anticipation of the two slices I knew I'd want after a night of drinking.)

After saying goodnight to Todd, Jamie and I chatted about the night as we walked home. I told him about the sense of loneliness that's been so a part of me lately. He talked about the relationship he just got out of, and how it's still affecting him. We laughed. We cried. (It was better then Cats.)

As I drifted off to sleep, I started to think about how similar my night was with last Tuesday. Pieces. Karaoke. Drinking. Pizza.

Last Tuesday I went to bed giddy and excited over the new boy I'd met. And a week later, I went to sleep wondering if I'd even hear from him again.

How quickly things can just go to pieces.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home