Saturday, May 14, 2005

Idolicious!!!

Now bear in mind before I tell this story that I'm not especially enamored with celebrities. I worked in an industry where I was constantly surrounded by "famous" people.

It takes seeing someone whose work I truly enjoy to give me that "starstruck" feeling.

Well on Friday the 13'th, I had not only a great "celebrity encounter" but also my first experience waiting on an "Idol" ... literally.

Constantine has always been my favorite "American Idol" and I screamed and yelled at the television when America decided to vote him off a few weeks ago. He could have and should have won that competition. Oh well ... it's really a popularity contest and that's just how it goes.

Last night right after starting my shift, a rather tall man with long hair came into the restaurant with a couple of girls. I noticed him immediately cause he was hot! (Natch!) He was asking at the front counter if his friends could get margaritas to go, so they could sit in the sunnier part of the courtyard, where we don't order table service.

I took a closer look and sure enough, it was Constantine. I watched helplessly as he and his friends left, and took a seat in a bright and sunny spot in the courtyard, a short distance away. I was gabbing with one of the other girls about it, pointing and giggling.

About 30 minutes later, I was getting chips and salsa for a table and I saw Constantine and his friends pass by me, being ushered out to our outside dining area. I immediately dropped everything I was doing, and got a setup for their table and headed over.

"Hi guys," I said casually. "We have a special tonight on $3 frozen margaritas ... can I get you guys something to drink?"

His friends both ordered frozen, he ordered his on the rocks with no salt. He flashed his winning smile as I took the order and I melted.

I was determined that I was going to act cool, even though just thinking about this guys voice made me want to melt.

As it turns out, Jose (one of my least favorite servers I work with) decided to take the table from me even though he had 8 other tables and I had 2 ... and Constantine's table was on the border of our section.

I wasn't going to sweat it though... I just made sure that anytime something was needed at the table, I was there to get it first. (Immature, but whatever! I'd never WAITED on a celebrity before. It was kind of a novelty.)

I gave no acknowledgement all through the meal, but people sitting around him did. A few other customers wandered over intermittently to say hello, to chat and one even had him take a picture with them on their camera phone.

I've always said those things were useless toys that no one really needed.

I was cursing myself that night for not having one.

At the end of the meal, Jose was nowhere to be found so Constantine nodded at me, and I walked over. "Can we get our check if you have a minute, man?" he asked.

I got the check, dropped it off and said "By the way, you have a great voice man."

He winked, flashed that winning smile again and said "Thank you very much."

Now that story, I can truly say is one of those "Only In New York" kinda things!

1 Comments:

Blogger SuperMindy said...

i am so jealous

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home