Sunday, May 08, 2005

So Much To Do...

What a week it's been.

Cinco Da Mayo was my first day on the floor at the Mexican Restaurant I now work at in midtown. Does anyone know the Spanish equivalent to "Oi vey?!" Well ... if I knew it, I'd use it here, but I don't. In fact, I don't speak any Spanish at all ... and that's all everyone at my new restaurant DOES speak.

So the adjustment is taking a bit of time ... but I give it another week or two and I should start feeling comfortable at my new place of employment.

I've been staying at Skylar's this week, and it's been just wonderful. Coming home from work around 6 at night, ordering some food, smoking some pot and watching some TV with muh girl, before passing out at some ungodly early hour so I can get up around 9 the next morning and do it all over again.

I've actually started to get myself in a routine, which is both good and bad. Good because it makes it a lot easier for me to deal with all the change and the things that aren't so constant in my life right now. Bad because my residence as "Chez Skylar" must come to an end soon. One of the reasons I hate being a houseguest is because eventually you start to feel like you're going to wear out your welcome, whether you actually are or not. Skylar's been wonderful about having me here, but she's an independent girl, and soon it's going to be time for me to head over to my weekly hotel in the village, and check myself in there until I take the next step - moving into a more permanent address of my own.

It's probably going to be another month or so till that's able to happen. I'm thinking about waiting till summer, (Juneish) because that's when I'll be making the serious money at the restaurant. We have a large outdoor cafe (almost triple the amount of seats we have inside) and during nice summer days, it fills up and the servers make their most money.

In the meantime I have the next several days off from all obligations here in New York City, so I'm thinking about taking a trip to PA to see "The Rents" ... It's been since Thanksgiving since I saw them, and I'm due for a mini-vacation one of these days soon.

Speaking of PA ... last night while innocently chatting away in a Brooklyn chat room, I start chatting up some hottie 22 year old with tatoos and a punkish look.

"Is this Kevin?" he asks me.

Immediately I start looking at the picture for recognition. After staring at it for a few minutes it comes to me. David... this kid I used to hang out with during trips to PA about 6 years ago when he was 16 and I was 22. Last I heard (several years ago) he was going to school near the city and planned to move here after school. Sure enough, here he is ... in the Big Apple and working as the Wardrobe Supervisor for a popular and long-running off-Broadway show. (Which coincidentally is one of my favorites and to which he gets 4 comps a week... Hmmm.)

We chatted and it brought back more memories of the old days. The days when I was such a different person. That's been happening a lot to me lately, as I reconnect and resume friendships with people from years past. Memories I didn't even know I still had come flooding back to me ... reminding me of a different time and a different place. Some of those places were good ... some of the memories were good. And some ... not so much. But it's amazing to me the changes I've gone through over the years. More evolution of self then change I suppose. It's my belief that the core of who one is rarely changes... but the experiences in life shape who you are to become.

I know I haven't reached the end of that evolution yet, and perhaps nobody ever does. But I'm so aware of the change taking place in me right now and it's as scary as it is exhilirating.

As much trepidation as I've felt about my upcoming 29'th birthday (to quote my friend Ben who is having his this year also, "The first of many...") I also have an incredible excitement to find out exactly what kind of 30 year old man I'm going to grow into and what things my life will hold for me then. The first 28 years sure have been jam-packed.

Yeah, part of me wants to stay a "kid" forever ... but part of me is dying to know what adulthood has in store for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home