Thursday, June 09, 2005

Hot Time: Summer In The City

Disciplining myself to write daily posts on my online journal is the bane of my existence (Well that and Paris Hilton) but something I swear I'm going to get better at. Then a few weeks go by, and I'm so busy or scatterbrained that I just don't find the time, and I end up having to write a novel in order to chronicle the events since my last post.

It's been a hectic couple of weeks, that's for sure. Good, bad ... and of course always a little bit of ugly.

After months of indecision, my best friend Jamie finally arrived in the city last week and is now my roomie. It's so good to finally live in the same city again. We go through spurts where we live in different states, and then eventually meet up again to raise hell in yet another town. Jamie's dreamed of living in NYC since he was a child (we attempted once for a few weeks, years back but we don't really count that) and so now he's finally living out that dream.

We stayed at Doug's apartment for the first week, but the sublet ended rather abrubtly one night when the owner of the apartment came back, expecting it to be empty. This was made more awkward by the fact that it happened at 3 am.

Jamie and I had just come back from a night of drinking, and had our buzz on and there was a purse, a rose and a cellphone in the kitchen. Knowing that it didn't belong to any of us I deduced that it was probably the owner, but she was nowhere to be found.

As Jamie and I wandered around the apartment deciding what to do, she suddenly appeared in the living room, having entered from the back door. A shocked look on her face accompanied mutual exclamations of "Who are you?" from all parties. She had a cute gay boy in tow, and they also both had their buzz on. What followed next was an explanation of who we were, and then the realization that she and I were from the same hometown, knew people in common and had many other weird connections that made it even odder that we appeared out of the blue in her apartment.

We sat down, talked and laughed for a bit then decided we would talk the next day about what to do about the apartment situation. In the end, Jamie and I moved out Sunday and moved back into a hotel that we're paying for weekly until we find a more permanent situation.

It's good to have my buddy back to be able to share this wonderful city with. I was doing well even before he got here, but him moving here is definitely the icing on the cake.

I've made a couple of new friends also ... Jaqueline a fabulous, outspoken, saucy, tall and beautiful black woman who Jamie and I have both been chilling with. I think she's definitely a keeper.

Work has been going well and I just got a great review from a mystery shop that I had last week. Some of the people at work still treat me like an idiot because I don't speak spanish and am not mexican, but I've just stopped caring about it. They laughed at me the other day because they were speaking spanish and I didn't understand what they were saying. I barked back "I speak the language of the country I live in, why are YOU laughing at ME?" They didn't understand what I said, so I laughed at THEM and walked away feeling satisfied.

Summer has arrived, and the heat with it. Temperatures have gone up into the 90's and I'm cursing the people who were complaining about the chilly weather just a week ago. I told them they should enjoy it while it lasts. Morons! I decided that the heat was going to be too much with the long hair I've been growing out forever, and so this morning I finally went and had it all chopped off... it actually looks really good and is nothing but my natural color. That will change tonight though, when I get out of work. Bleached blonde for the summer, and then probably reddish brown when winter arrives. I'm gay, so I have to have seasonal colors. It's the law.

But ... summer in New York is still summer in New York ... and I'm looking forward to seeing what (other than the heat) it holds in store for me. Hopefully, I'll find the time to sit down and write about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home