Wednesday, July 13, 2005

The One!

"You're either the perfect person for me; the one I've been waiting all this time to meet - or you're the most convincing liar I've ever met." I said, as I looked into his eyes.

"It's destiny." He said, never breaking eye contact. "You're who I've been waiting for for 24 years."

Pause.

Rewind.

To tell this story I really need to start from the beginning. WARNING: this story contains graphic mush, and may be disturbing to those who are cynical and jaded.

Sunday I got out of work at 5, and met up with my one of my oldest NYC friends, Kristina. We've been trying to put together a time to hang out since I got back, but just haven't been able to get it together. She remarked the other day, that our efforts to meet up were starting to resemble a bad Shakespeare comedy. (Kristina, Kristina, where fore art thou Kristina?)

It was a lovely evening. We went to a street fair, then shopping at H&M where I got a HOT outfit, complete with necklace for just under $20. Then it was off to dinner and drinks, followed by some pot smoking in my hotel room. And since no night would be complete without a trip to the Duplex, we stopped in there for some piano bar lovin. Kristina left early, and I wandered home around 2. I was walking down my hallway in my hotel to use the bathroom, when I saw one of the most adorable boys I'd ever seen in my life.

Standing about 5'5", with long messy hair, some facial scruff and eyes that were beautiful, but looked so sad.

We made eye contact for just a second and something provoked me to speak to him.

"You look sad." I said just as we were about to pass each other.

"I am." he said, as we passed each other.

I detected an accent, but couldn't place it.

I turned to watch him walk away, only to see that he had turned back to look at me as well. We both nervously turned away and continued along our way. As I was leaving the bathroom, I ran into him again. This time he was leaving his room, and locking it.

"Are you ok?" I asked, seeing the pain behind his eyes.

He smiled and nodded, and walked towards the stairwell.

I went back to my room and had this sudden feeling that I should talk to this boy. Not my usual boy crazy shit, but a feeling that compelled me to go back out into the hallway to see if he was still there.

He was standing outside his door as I left my room. I walked towards him, unsure what (if anything) I was going to say.

As I approached him I felt my nerve disappearing. I started to turn the corner when suddennly he spoke.

"Do you have an extra cigarette?" He asked.

Again, there was definitely a foreign accent, but I couldn't place it.

"Sure." I said, handing him a Newport Medium.

"Thank you." He said with more sincerity then most people generate for those words.

We made eye contact and held it. We both looked directly into each others eyes for what seemed like an eternity, but was probably only about 30 seconds. I felt a chill, and uncertain what it meant, I retreated back to my room.

I sat on my bed and debated on what to do next. With just half a minute of staring into each others eyes, and a total of 10 words spoken, I felt something inside me stirring. I knew I had to do something ... I didn't know why, but I knew I did.

So I did a typically Kevin thing. I wrote him a note. It said that I thought he was cute, and that it made me sad to see him sad. It said if he wanted to talk to stop by my room.

I walked down the hall, slid it under his door and ran like a coward back to my room.

I smoked a bowl, and laid in bed, looking up at the ceiling and wondering what about this boy was sending off all these alarms in my head. I waited for a knock, but it never came. 30 minutes later, I dozed off, with thoughts of the foreigner dancing through my mind.

The next afternoon, I was spending a lazy afternoon in bed watching General Hospital when the knock finally came.

I opened the door, and he was standing there, looking timid and unsure.

"Hi." I said, feeling a bit timid and unsure myself.

We stared at each other for a few minutes, both unsure what to say or do.

I invited him in for a cigarette. He sat next to me on the bed, as we smoked in silence, while somehow never breaking eye contact.

He went on to tell me that he was seeing someone ... an older guy who lived in the hotel also but that he felt trapped with him. Unsatisfied. Just generally not happy ...

I could see the sadness in his eyes. Never had I met someone who had such expressive eyes. You could almost read his thoughts, just by looking in his eyes.

I leaned in to hug him. We held the hug for quite a while and when we pulled away, we made eye contact, with our faces just a few inches away from each other. My instinct was to kiss him, and as we stared into each others eyes, I could see that he wanted me to.

The first kiss was amazing, and every kiss since then has been just as amazing. We kissed for a few minutes before he stood up and declared that he had to go. He felt guilty.

"Would you like to do something tonight, when I get out work?" I asked, trying to sound as casual as possible.

"I can't." he said, and left it at that.

He leaned in and kissed me once more before walking out and closing the door behind him.

No more then 30 seconds had passed and my door opened again. He entered and kissed me immediately.

"Thank you." he said sweetly.

I made him take my phone number and told him to call me if he changed his mind about hanging out. There was something special about him. I knew it instantly. And I wanted so badly to spend some more time with him. To start to know him.

My phone rang at exactly 11 o'clock that night.

"Is this Kevin?" the voice asked.

I recognized the accent immediately.

"Yes."

"Do you know who this is?"

"Yes."

"I thought maybe I would change my mind. If you still wanted to hang out..."

"I'd love to."

We ended up at the Duplex, which I accurately predicted he would love. We held hands most of the night as we watched the various cocktail waitresses and bartenders get up to sing their sets. There was conversation, both with our voices and our eyes. I found we could communicate what we were thinking at any given moment with only a look to the other.

We held hands as we walked back to the hotel, and back to my room. We sat up and talked for hours and I became swept away with a sudden truth.

This is him. This is the guy. The one.

What made the moment even more incredible was that I could sense he was feeling the same way. There was so much we had to learn about each other... and it seemed silly to know someone is right for you just based on a feeling. We acknowledged that. We spoke about it. And we didn't care.

We smoked some pot and started singing showtunes. (GEEKS!)

"Love is a many spelndored thing... love lifts us up where you belong... all you need is love." I sang.

Moulin Rouge. My favorite movie. And his. We sang Elephant Love Medley, together sitting on my bed, staring into each others eyes the whole time. Me singing Ewan, him singing Nicole.

We reached the end of the song...and both paused for just a moment before looking into each others eyes and sniging the last line: "How wonderful life is ... now you're in the world."

We kissed.

"You're either the perfect person for me; the one I've been waiting all this time to meet - or you're the most convincing liar I've ever met." I said, as I looked into his eyes.

"It's destiny." He said, never breaking eye contact. "You're who I've been waiting for for 24 years."

We kissed again.

There wasn't a doubt in my mind. I'd finally met "the one" ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home